Village Backdrop: White Moon Cove (SNE)
A System Neutral Edition Compatible GM's Resource by Marc Radle
White Moon Cove is a respectable fishing town located in a cove which acts as an excellent, natural harbour. The inhabitants of this tightly-knit community are sober, hardworking and amiable fishermen, traders and other sturdy folk making their living from the sea.
Despite being a fairly peaceful and law-abiding place, White Moon Cove still hold many opportunities for adventure, from rumours of secret smuggler activity to an ancient and possibly haunted lighthouse. Yet, perhaps the most famous reason for White Moon Cove's notoriety is the mysterious underwater edifice known as the Sunken Pyramid which lies hidden far beneath the waves a few miles out to sea. The handful of sages and scholars possessing any knowledge of this massive stone structure debate whether it is a completely natural rock formation, a natural site that has somehow been intentionally modified, or something built long ago by human, or inhuman, hands.
Most of White Moon Cove comprises peasant homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Seafoam Trade Goods: Edric’s Trading Shop is almost always busy with sailors, merchants and local residents alike.
- Gwyn’s Smithy: This large building is owned and operated by Orin Gwyn. Items available include sword blades, farming implements, eating utensils and ship’s tools.
- Sleeping Triton: The Sleeping Triton comprises a spacious tavern with two dozen cosy rooms. It is easily one of the most popular places in White Moon Cove.
- White Chapel: White Moon Cove’s temple is one of the most impressive buildings in the village. Recently constructed, the temple’s high-domed roof gleams in the sunlight.
- Village Hall: This building comprises a large central meeting room and a number of smaller chambers and offices. It is well-guarded during the day and securely locked at night.
- Dorna’s Fishmonger’s Shop: This large building, located near both the marketplace and the docks, is a popular destination of sailors and fisherman alike.
- The Cyclops: Known to locals as “The Cyclops,” this old stone lighthouse sits at the mouth of the cove. It is by far the oldest structure in the village.
- Marketplace: Numerous stalls and animal pens fill the area in a semi-organized jumble. A large weekly market day draws people from all over the local area.
This village is part of the Gloamhold campaign setting but can be easily adapted to virtually any campaign.
Village Backdrops are short, richly detailed supplements that each present a single village ready to insert into almost any home campaign. Perfect for use as a waystop on the road to adventure, as an adventure site themselves or as a PC’s home, Village Backdrop present the details so the busy GM can focus on crafting exciting, compelling adventures.
For free samples head over to Raging Swan's website.
Format & Delivery
This is a digital product. Once you’ve checked out, you will receive a download link for your purchase.
This book is a Dual Format PDF. You’ll find two versions in the zip file: one optimised for printing and use on a normal computer and one optimised for use on a mobile device such as an iPad. The two versions are identical except the screen version has been compressed so it renders quicker on screen.
The Blades Three have a tragic history. Once known as the The Nine, the group numbered, surprisingly, nine members. Most have since died during forays deep into Gloamhold. One, driven mad by his experiences, jumped into Hard Bay when the band was returning from a particularly harrowing expedition. His body was never found.