Village Backdrop: Wellswood (5e)
A 5e Compatible GM's Resource by Creighton Broadhurst
A busy, prosperous village, Wellswood is justly famed for the warm welcome travellers find in the village’s taverns and inns and for its most striking feature: Lake Thraren—a subterranean lake lying deep below the village’s foundations. The villagers catch the exotic fish swarming in its deep, cold waters and on its shore stand the fortress home of the dwarf clan of Erdikr. Here long before humans colonised the land above, these secretive dwarves serve Lord Issakainen, maintaining the village’s many wells, but let none enter their lightless home.
All is not peaceful in Wellswood, however. Merchants and villagers alike grumble at the slowly increasing burden of taxes levied by the greedy Lord Issakainen while others have begun to wonder exactly what clan Erdikr are up to deep below the earth.
Most of Wellswood comprises peasant homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Castle Issakainen: Castle Issakainen’s lofty battlements overlook the trading routes that meet just north of the village.
- The Footsore Wanderer: Occupying a walled compound, the Footsore Wanderer has ample accommodations for all but the largest caravans.
- Toll Booth: From these watchtowers Lord Issakainen levies tolls on all travellers entering Wellswood.
- Wheels & Wagons: Run by two brothers, this large business can repair almost any mode of transport.
- Tuomi’s Outfitters: This meticulously organised shop has everything a traveller should need to reach his destination.
- The Boot & Wheel: This small inn does a roaring trade; its guests are welcome to pitch their tents within the inn’s grounds or to hire one of its many small lodges.
- The Angry Badger: A local’s watering hole, the Angry Badger serves cheap, plentiful drinks and basic, but filling, food. Additional entertainments are always available upstairs (and occasionally downstairs).
- Travellers’ Rest: This rambling shrine dedicated to Behron, the god of travellers, is open to all. Travellers low on funds can sleep in the shrine for free.
- Lake Thraren: Lord Issakainen tightly controls access to Lake Thraren and tithes those fishing its waters.
- Don Galir: Home of the Erdikr clan, this small dwarven hold lies under Wellswood; non-dwarves are rarely admitted.
This village is part of the Gloamhold campaign setting but can be easily adapted to virtually any campaign.
Village Backdrops are short, richly detailed supplements that each present a single village ready to insert into almost any home campaign. Perfect for use as a waystop on the road to adventure, as an adventure site themselves or as a PC’s home, Village Backdrop present the details so the busy GM can focus on crafting exciting, compelling adventures.
For free samples head over to Raging Swan's website.
Format & Delivery
This is a digital product. Once you’ve checked out, you will receive a download link for your purchase.
This book is a Dual Format PDF. You’ll find two versions in the zip file: one optimised for printing and use on a normal computer and one optimised for use on a mobile device such as an iPad. The two versions are identical except the screen version has been compressed so it renders quicker on screen.