Village Backdrop: Kingsfell (SNE)
A System Neutral Edition GM's Resource by Creighton Broadhurst
Standing hard against the River Ost, Kingsfell is seemingly a tranquil and prosperous village on a well-travelled trade route. However, the village stands on the site of a long-forgotten battlefield and not all the dead rest easily in their graves. Strangely, while the paladin—and lady of the village—Mira Lankinen, the scion of an ancient line, keeps watch over her lands, a subtle unease shrouds the village. Strangers sometimes arrive in Kingsfell armed with spades and picks intending to dig beneath the Kingstones, for rumours and old stories vaguely place buried treasures beneath their feet. Local laws and traditions prohibit such treasure hunting, however, and few dare to face down Mira Lankinen and her skilled, vigilant men-at-arms. Thus, so far the stones and whatever lies beneath remains undisturbed.
Most of Kingsfell comprises peasant homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Redshank Mill: Here dwells the taciturn miller Riku Markku and his family. Because the Ost is a tidal river, the family keeps odd hours.
- The Rat and Cup: This inn offers a homely, basic welcome to travellers. Those on a budget stay here, while the well-to-do end up at the Weary Traveller.
- The Kingstones: Five carven stones of stout dwarven warriors surround a sixth regal-looking dwarf atop this burial mound.
- Vigil: This towering fortress stands atop the highest of the burial mounds. Deep below its foundations lie the mouldering, jumbled bones of hundreds of orcs.
- Eskola’s: This large shop has an eclectic range of goods.
- The Weary Traveller: Kingsfell’s best inn, The Weary Traveller provides welcome rest to those visiting the village.
- Hall of the Lawgiver: Dedicated to Conn, the hall is the spiritual heart of the village.
- Heimo’s House: This large, well-appointed house overlooks much of the village. Here dwells the failed wizard and wealthy merchant Heimo Eskola and his family.
- Shrine of the Shining Light: This temple of Darlen also serves as a watchtower. Few worship here beyond the Lankinens and their retainers.
This village is part of the Gloamhold campaign setting but can be easily adapted to virtually any campaign.
Village Backdrops are short, richly detailed supplements that each present a single village ready to insert into almost any home campaign. Perfect for use as a waystop on the road to adventure, as an adventure site themselves or as a PC’s home, Village Backdrop present the details so the busy GM can focus on crafting exciting, compelling adventures.
For free samples head over to Raging Swan's website.
Format & Delivery
This is a digital product. Once you’ve checked out, you will receive a download link for your purchase.
This book is a Dual Format PDF. You’ll find two versions in the zip file: one optimised for printing and use on a normal computer and one optimised for use on a mobile device such as an iPad. The two versions are identical except the screen version has been compressed so it renders quicker on screen.