Village Backdrop: Kerwyn's Pride (SNE)
A System Neutral Edition Compatible GM's Resource by Mike Welham
Built upon the ruins of a pirate fleet doomed by a savage storm, the floating village of Kerwyn’s Pride now serves as a base from which to thwart piratical activity in the surrounding waters, a shipyard for damaged vessels and as the home of “reformed” pirate captain Vayla Hollan and her crew. The surrounding waters see much trade—three baronies have competing claims for the area—and Vayla acts as a neutral arbiter and toll collector for the competing nobles. Of course, contraband still flows through the village—Vayla hasn’t completely given up on her old lifestyle—but Kerwyn’s Pride is a relatively safe place for a weary crew to drop anchor…if it wasn’t for the anarchic villagers, swarms of deadly insects infesting a nearby island, a strange buzzing sound coming from the surrounding forest and the rumours of a terrible insectile demon taking an unwholesome interest in the village…
Most of the village comprises normal homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers.
- Sea Sprite Inn: Named for the ship whose hull comprises the main building, this inn is where locals go to unwind after a busy day. Visitors also frequent the inn while they wait out storms or their ships undergo inspection or repair.
- The Buzzing Bog: This stretch of sand manages to stay above water even during high tides. Here dwell a multitude of stinging and biting insects. Those who commit egregious crimes in the village receive sentenced to walk a number of laps of the island depending on each offence’s severity.
- Quartermaster’s: This shop serves the village and visiting ships. It becomes an overflow inn and tavern when storms force many ships to dock at the village.
- Fort Lookout: This building is the only intact structure from the centuries-old occupation of a now-faded empire. The building provides shelter from the rain and allows for storage of goods that must remain dry.
- The Holding Pen: Ships that require repairs, inspection or assessment for tariffs dock here. Like the floating piers in the rest of the village, the pen’s walkways are moveable to allow or restrict entry. Netting below the surface prevents large aquatic predators entering this area.
- Temple to Murgiss: The villagers retain their faith in the sea goddess who favours pirates. Visitors are encouraged to visit the temple and make a nominal donation to gain the goddess’s goodwill during their sea voyages.
- Hollan Manse: Vayla and her crew converted Kerwyn’s Prideto become her home. She meets with ship’s captains and representatives from the three baronies, here.
- The Crow’s Nest: The highest point in Kerwyn’s Pride grants the village watch a vantage over the bay. The Crow’s Nest is equipped similarly to a lighthouse, albeit with a less powerful light, to help guide ships at night.
- Port Authority: Administration of the bay is handled here.
- Ruined Fort: This is the only other obvious structure from the former empire that controlled this region. A hidden basement allows the residents to wait out severe storms and conceals contraband making its way through the village.
Village Backdrops are short, richly detailed supplements that each present a single village ready to insert into almost any home campaign. Perfect for use as a waystop on the road to adventure, as an adventure site themselves or as a PC’s home, Village Backdrop present the details so the busy GM can focus on crafting exciting, compelling adventures.
For free samples head over to Raging Swan's website.
Format & Delivery
This is a digital product. Once you’ve checked out, you will receive a download link for your purchase.
This book is a Dual Format PDF. You’ll find two versions in the zip file: one optimised for printing and use on a normal computer and one optimised for use on a mobile device such as an iPad. The two versions are identical except the screen version has been compressed so it renders quicker on screen.