Village Backdrop: Lady Cross (SNE)
A System Neutral Edition Compatible GM's Resource by Robert Manson
On what was once the lonely crossroads of two rarely used roads sits the village of Lady Cross, a tight community of stone houses surrounded by a high stone wall. Now a popular rest stop for travellers and merchants alike, Lady Cross is known for the heady spirits distilled in the village and sold at the local inn, The Lady’s Rest. Unknown to most, it is a different type of spirit the villagers fear—a sinister secret wreathed in foul treachery and hysteria that speaks to the darkness and greedy lurking in men’s souls.
Most of the village comprises peasant homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- The Lady’s Rest: This squat stone, rose-covered building is the centre of village life. Bordering the village square on two sides, it, and the spirits sold here, are the reasons most people stop in Lady Cross.
- Harrigan’s Stables and Forge: This large open-air forge also doubles as the stables for the inn’s many visitors.
- Stoneforge Distillery: Built of thick black stone bricks, this typical dwarven building houses several gin stills
- The Book End: Small and innocuous, like its owner Grindin Well-Read, this small shop holds many books and maps.
- Wundrel’s Tea Shop: Tucked away beneath tall juniper trees, this eatery provides accommodation for smaller clients as well as a larger common room and outdoor seating for all.
- The Ruined Mill: Now unused, this old mill stands behind the village slowly decaying.
- The Mill Pond: Hidden behind a large tangle of juniper bushes, this pond is now mostly ignored by the busy villagers.
- The Sorrow Tree: Shattered by lightning in a savage storm, this burnt tree overlooks the village from a small knoll beside the road. Eadith’s scorched and weathered skeleton is still chained to the tree.
- The Watchtowers: Each of the three village gates is built inside a sturdy stone tower. From here, guards can use their crossbows to great effect through the arrow slits or from behind the crenellated wall.
Village Backdrops are short, richly detailed supplements that each present a single village ready to insert into almost any home campaign. Perfect for use as a waystop on the road to adventure, as an adventure site themselves or as a PC’s home, Village Backdrop present the details so the busy GM can focus on crafting exciting, compelling adventures.
For free samples head over to Raging Swan's website.
Format & Delivery
This is a digital product. Once you’ve checked out, you will receive a download link for your purchase.
This book is a Dual Format PDF. You’ll find two versions in the zip file: one optimised for printing and use on a normal computer and one optimised for use on a mobile device such as an iPad. The two versions are identical except the screen version has been compressed so it renders quicker on screen.