Raisa's Curios at a Glance
by Creighton Broadhurst
November 18, 2019
One of the best-known establishments on Cheap Street, Raisa’s Curios fills the first three floors of a tottering four-storey townhouse. Known throughout the city, Raisa’s Curios is one of those places adventurers often come to browse in hopes of finding something interesting or valuable among the junk and bric-a-brac.
As well as selling all manner of things, Raisa also offers money changing and pawn broker services. Rumours suggest (untruly) she has links with the Shadow Masks, and these anger her. Consequently, she is scrupulously honest in her dealings in an attempt to disprove the rumours.
She maintains a strong-vault of sorts hidden in her private quarters on the fourth floor where favoured customers can store items (for a small fee). The vault contains items left by several customers who have subsequently disappeared in Gloamhold’s depths. At some point, if they remain unclaimed, they’ll find their way onto the shop floor.
Raisa employs a staff of three young, brawny men —Mikko, Tuukka and Viljo—to tend her busy shop; many people come here to browse her wares.
Notable folk at Raisa's Curios include:
- Mikko Leino (LN male human fighter 1): Bearded and swarthy, Mikko often follows customers he thinks look dodgy around the shop. He thinks he is subtle; he is not. For Mikko, dodgy customers include anyone visiting the shop for the first time. And halflings—all halflings.
- Raisa Ojanen (NG middle-aged female human wizard 2): Raisa was once an adventurer, but a near-death experience— coupled with the realisation she could make good money as a dealer in curios—led to her retirement. She is happy to part fools from their money but respects intelligence. Raisa likes to chat with customers and often shares stories from her adventuring days. In truth, these tales are generally other people’s stories, and so their veracity is doubtful. Still, careful listeners may gain some useful nuggets of information.
- Tuukko Takala (N male human rogue 2): Half Takolen, Tuukko hides his heritage to avoid the prejudice surrounding those dwelling in the Wrecks. Raisa has guessed the truth of his birth but has not yet confronted him. Tuukko is fiercely loyal to Raisa and does not steal from customers or the shop. Of late, though, he has begun to consider trying his hand at a spot of late-night burglary.
- Viljo Hafeltyrr (CG male half-elf fighter 1/wizard 1): Viljo is happy-go-lucky and irritatingly cheerful. He loves working at the shop and has a prodigious memory of where particularly interesting items are stored.
Curios for Sale
Use the list below, to generate the details of odd items on Raisa’s shelves that catch the characters’ eyes when they browse before the auction. These items could be nothing more than interesting curiosities, an astute purchase or the hook into a side quest or even full adventure.
- Stuffed Mottled Black and Blue Octopus: Fished from Hard Bay many years ago, this stuffed octopus has seen better days. Its skin is faded and worn and the thing’s surviving tentacles hang limply. It is for sale for 1 gp.
- Skeletal Hand-Shaped Torch Sconce: This black wrought iron torch sconce is three foot long and can be used an an improvised club (which can deal bludgeoning or slashing damage). It is for sale for 5 gp.
- Silvered Dagger: At first glance, this weapon appears to be a fine example of a silver dagger. However, perceptive characters examining the weapon discover it is merely silver plated. The weapon is priced at 90 gp, but only worth a one-tenth of that amount.
- Dusty Wine Bottle: Wreathed in cobwebs and covered in dust this bottle certainly looks like it contains vintage wine. Cleaning the bottle off, however, reveals it holds a beautifully detailed model ship—a caravel under full sale. A perceptive character notes the ship’s name: Wave Chaser. A character steeped in historical lore recognises the vessel as the lost treasure ship of Sampsa Auvo. Perhaps the bottle holds a clue as to the ship’s fate. It is for sale for 10 gp.
- Lumpy Cushion: This threadbare, lumpy cushion is an oversized affair. Old clothes, ripped cloaks and the like fill the cushion. Some of these clothes could have forgotten minor objects and trinkets in their pockets. The cushion costs 1 sp.
- Ornate Locked Coffer: Protected by a fiendishly complex lock (for which the key is lost) this chest is offered with the contents unseen. The GM can fill the coffer with nothing much of interest, or it could contain the seeds for the party’s next adventure, a magic item or other item they might not know they need and so on. The coffer and its contents are for sale for 50 gp.
- Tentacled Skull(?): This strange skull, about the size of a human’s, sits on an ornate dark wood stand. The skull is a foul thing. Many small strands of segmented bone jut from where the individual’s hair should have grown, and clack against one another when the skull is moved. (This is a medusa’s skull). The skull, along with the stand, cost 10 gp.
- The Nameless Book: With a deep crimson cover and an ornate brass lock this thick book appears a formidable tome. The book’s key is in the lock. The book is a travelogue describing just some of the adventures of the legendary bard and pirate captain Vilimzair Aralivar. Written by one of his loyal companions it speaks in hushed, almost reverential, tones of the captain’s exploits and adventures. It costs 9 gp.
Want to Visit Raisa's Curios?
Design Creighton Broadhurst; Cartography Tommi Salama