4d4 Haunted House
by Guest Designer
September 30, 2019
The haunted manor house is a classic adventure locale ripe for flavoursome dressing up. Use the lists below to add flavour and detail to the haunted houses in your campaign!
Outside the House
- A riot of weeds, thick bushes and several sickly trees grow closely about the haunted house.
- A scattering of rotten, smashed furniture—perhaps thrown from the house—lies on the ground.
- No vegetation grows within 15-foot of the house. The twisted trunks of several trees lie stark upon the ground.
- Shadows seem to gather closely about the haunted house, on all but the sunniest days.
What’s Going On
- At the characters’ approach, the nearest door flies open and then slams shut.
- Suddenly, wild and high-pitched screaming breaks the relative quiet. It stops as quickly as it started.
- The loud sound of something heavy being dragged across the floor comes from an upstairs window.
- The wind moans through the house’s eaves, giving the impression the building is sighing.
Major House features
- Unwholesomely thick darkness gathers in various nooks and crannies and is strangely resistant to mundane light.
- Faint, half-seen spectral figures move about the house seemingly completely unaware of the characters.
- Thick cobwebs choke the staircase; so thick are they, burning them might set the whole house on fire.
- Strongly good-aligned characters have terrible headaches while in the house.
Treasures to Find
- A gold locket, still attached to a fine chain, hangs from a nail driven into the back of a door.
- A small leather bound book, “Vilimzair Aralivar: How to Be More Like Him”, lies forgotten on the floor.
- A crack in one wall reveal a secret compartment filled with old gold and silver coins minted in a far-off land.
- Decorated with beautiful gold embroidery of a fire-breathing dragon a pair of lady’s silken gloves hangs from a hook embedded in the back of a door.
Monstrous Lair #35: Ghost-Haunted House is available here at the Raging Swan Press store.